Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Pierce's Picks - Week 16

It's been an eventful season and it's winding down. The playoff pictures are mostly clear, but there's still plenty of excitement to be had.

I went a rough 8-8 last week, taking my season mark to 142-82.

Winners in gold.

Thursday Night -
Carolina (2-12) @ Pittsburgh (10-4)

Saturday Night -
Dallas (5-9) @ Arizona (4-10)

Sunday at 1:00pm ET -
New England (12-2) @ Buffalo (4-10)
NY Jets (10-4) @ Chicago (10-4)
Baltimore (10-4) @ Cleveland (5-9)
San Francisco (5-9) @ St. Louis (6-8)
Detroit (4-10) @ Miami (7-7)
Washington (5-9) @ Jacksonville (8-6)
Tennessee (5-9) @ Kansas City (9-5)

Sunday at 4:00pm ET -
Indianapolis (8-6) @ Oakland (7-7)
Houston (5-9) @ Denver (3-11)
San Diego (8-6) @ Cincinnati (3-11)
Seattle (6-8) @ Tampa Bay (8-6)
NY Giants (9-5) @ Green Bay (8-6)

Sunday Night -
Minnesota (5-9) @ Philadelphia (10-4)

Monday Night -
New Orleans (10-4) @ Atlanta (12-2)

That's a great Monday Night matchup there, but I'm not betting against the Falcons in their dome, no way. Meanwhile, I'm starting to feel bad for the Vikings - that's a nice run on national TV they've got going, at a time when the team has really just fallen to pieces. I'm amused by the NFL Network's various attempts to sell the Panthers/Steelers game... ouch. I'm not seeing a lot of upsets this week, I think most teams are plotted on their course. I do like the Jets over the Bears, though, as they regain their swagger. I also like Green Bay over the Giants with Aaron Rodgers playing. I think the Rams put the nail in the 49ers season (finally) as they march to 8-8 and the NFC West title. I also like the Lions to notch a 3rd-straight win against a Dolphins team incapable of winning on their own turf, although I admit I like them better with Drew Stanton than Shaun Hill right now, who reportedly took 1st-team reps in practice today. I like Oakland to upset the Colts, though... I don't buy the Colts and I think a team with upfront toughness like the Raiders has a legitimate shot to pound them. I'm tempted to pick Denver over Houston, as I think Tebow will gut that team to at least one win while he's starting, but... that defense is horrible and I expect the Texans to shred 'em no matter what Tebow does.

The Draft Race is on. Carolina has the inside track on the 1st overall pick and I think they'll hold onto it. It'll be interesting to see, though, if Denver and Cincinnati remain the 2/3 or if they win a game or two and let the 4-win teams have a track at the top 3.

My hat's off to Devin Hester of the Bears - 14 KR/PR TDs in 5 seasons is actually a bit misleading... he didn't score any KR/PR TDs in two of those five seasons when the Bears tried to convert him to a full-time WR (and subsequently didn't make the playoffs). So in reality, that's 14 KR/PR TDs in 3 seasons as a full-time returner. What a talent. And what humility - I saw his post-game press conference and he wanted to make sure his 10 special teams teammates got as much glory as he did. It was really something to see him get choked up when a reporter asked him how he felt about those guys. As electric as a guy like DeSean Jackson is, it's clear right there that he's got nothing on Hester in the character department. Congratulations to Hester - who will undoubtedly add much, much more to that current record total.

No comments:

Post a Comment