Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pierce's Picks - NFL Week 2

Well, we had a few surprises in Week 1, but that's to be expected... it is the first week of the year, after all.

My Week 1 picks give me a starting record of 10-6.

Sunday at 1:00pm ET -
Oakland (1-0) @ Buffalo (1-0)
Chicago (1-0) @ New Orleans (0-1)
Cleveland (0-1) @ Indianapolis (0-1)
Kansas City (0-1) @ Detroit (1-0)
Green Bay (1-0) @ Carolina (0-1)
Baltimore (1-0) @ Tennessee (0-1)
Tampa Bay (0-1) @ Minnesota (0-1)
Jacksonville (1-0) @ NY Jets (1-0)
Arizona (1-0) @ Washington (1-0)
Seattle (0-1) @ Pittsburgh (0-1)

Sunday @ 4:00pm ET -
Dallas (0-1) @ San Francisco (1-0)
Cincinnati (1-0) @ Denver (0-1)
Houston (1-0) @ Miami (0-1)
San Diego (1-0) @ New England (1-0)

Sunday Night -
Philadelphia (1-0) @ Atlanta (0-1)

Monday Night -
St. Louis (0-1) @ NY Giants (0-1)

Based on one week of play, right now I would predict Green Bay over Baltimore in Super Bowl XLVI.

Some tough calls, some easy calls, as I see it.  I think it's safe to say that Indianapolis is a shadow of itself without Peyton Manning, which speaks to his greatness... he's the lynchpin of that team and without him, well... we all saw.  I think Green Bay and Baltimore are the best teams in the league right now.  Pittsburgh will lick its wounds on Seattle, which should establish the tradition of West Coast Teams Traveling East And Laying An Egg as we have every year (same rule for Buffalo over Oakland).  Cincy/Denver is a tough call... Denver looked awful against Oakland; their defense looks much improved though, but that offensive line and running game... bad.  But I like them at home against Cincy.  Oakland will be a good test for Buffalo to see if Week 1 was a mirage or a truth for them.  Detroit should dismantle a hurting Kansas City secondary, but we'll see - no reason to get overconfident there yet.  Will Minnesota have more than 40 yards passing this week?  We'll see, but I think the Bucs are the better team.  I thought Chad Henne had a great game against New England; possible upset there for Miami over Houston, but I'm not sold yet.  Arizona and Washington provide good tests for each other's Week 1 success, too...

The Sunday Night game should be a good one - Atlanta got embarrassed by what I think is an inferior Bears team; how will they respond at home against the hot-to-trot Eagles?  The Monday Night game proves to be less exciting, with a lackluster-looking Giants and the up-and-coming Rams, but the Rams have a dinged up Sam Bradford and an injured Steven Jackson... will Cadillac Williams light up Monday Night Football?  We'll see.

So much for my Kansas City survival pick last week... but I stand by my Week 1 logic of taking teams who need the win.  KC's season is in flux after that devastation.  For this week, depending on who you want to save or not, I like Pittsburgh for sure over Seattle, followed by Detroit or NY Jets.  If you want to be daring, Tampa Bay is a good pick - they need to, and should, beat Minnesota.  Take note that of my four potential survival picks last week, three of four panned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment