Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pierce's Picks - NFL Week 4

So last week was a little rougher - I went 8-8.  That puts my season at 32-16.

But as per when we fail, we certainly learned a lot last week, as teams made some serious declarations about themselves as this season begins to take real shape.

For this week:

Sunday at 1:00pm ET -
Buffalo (3-0) @ Cincinnati (1-2)
Carolina (1-2) @ Chicago (1-2)
Tennessee (2-1) @ Cleveland (2-1)
Detroit (3-0) @ Dallas (2-1)
Minnesota (0-3) @ Kansas City (0-3)
Washington (2-1) @ St. Louis (0-3)
New Orleans (2-1) @ Jacksonville (1-2)
San Francisco (2-1) @ Philadelphia (1-2)
Pittsburgh (2-1) @ Houston (2-1)

Sunday at 4:00pm ET -
Atlanta (2-1) @ Seattle (1-2)
NY Giants (2-1) @ Arizona (1-2)
Denver (1-2) @ Green Bay (3-0)
New England (2-1) @ Oakland (2-1)
Miami (0-3) @ San Diego (2-1)

Sunday Night -
NY Jets (2-1) @ Baltimore (2-1)

Monday Night -
Indianapolis (0-3) @ Tampa Bay (2-1)

Based on three weeks of play, right now I would predict the Buffalo over Detroit in Super Bowl XLVI.

I feel like all three undefeated teams have fairly easy matchups... Detroit's seems the most challenging, but I don't think Dallas is that good, and the Lions' D-line should put some fear in Romo early.  I think the Colts will throw away the season and win Andrew Luck.  It makes sense.  I think Miami is horrible.  I also think Kansas City is horrible, definitely moreso than Minnesota, who showed a lot of life last week (play-calling jacked them up more than anything).  Not sure what the deal is in St. Louis, but I'm not touching that - the Redskins are playing inspired football.  I'm buying into the Bills and I'm buying into Oakland.  The Raiders look for real and I think they're a way tougher team than the Patriots, who look very soft and very bad at pass defense.  Anyone else see Tom Brady half-ass it on Buffalo's pick-six last week?  Yeah, that tells me you've won too much and your time in the sun is over.  Arizona couldn't beat Seattle, so I've got no faith in that team anymore, since Seattle is still horrible.  Tennessee/Cleveland is a very hard match to call - Tennessee has shown me more lately, but that ought to be close.  I could see Houston beating Pittsburgh too; Pittsburgh does not appear to be as good as they used to be and Houston kept up with the Saints last week.  There'll be things to learn in that one; big game for both.  I could also see Carolina being the upset of the week over Chicago, but I don't have enough faith in Team Cam quite yet to pick 'em.  But they're on my radar.

All of my recommended survival picks panned out last week except for Cincinnati, but my strongest recommendations were Pittsburgh or Carolina, anyway.  That Pittsburgh pick looked mighty good in hindsight now; given that they barely beat a weak Colts team, I'd have trouble finding faith to use them again soon.

My recommended picks this week would be Minnesota, in perhaps the only situation all year you'd use them, or Tampa Bay.  San Diego is a good one, too, although the Dolphins are better on the road than at home.  But those are my top three, no question.  Other considerations go to Green Bay, but you'll probably want them later, or Atlanta, who really might not be as good as we thought.  The NY Giants are a thought, too, but Arizona might be out for blood after losing to the Seahawks.  So take heed.  I like Minnesota and Tampa Bay the most, as I don't expect a lot of opportunity to use them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment