Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pierce's Picks - NFL Week 1

We're back!  We have an NFL season and we will have a second consecutive year of Pierce's Picks, published online (truly, this is probably the fourth or fifth year in a row I've done this).

For the 2010 season, I finished with my picks at 161-95, approximately a 63% success rate, which was about the equivalent of a 10-6 average each week.  I went 7-4 in the playoffs, including correctly predicting the Green Bay victory.  We'll see how I do this season!

Like last year, my winning picks will be highlighted in gold.  I'll run through all of my picks and some weeks include some thoughts or notes or justifications below.

Thursday Night -
New Orleans (0-0) @ Green Bay (0-0)

Sunday at 1:00pm ET -
Atlanta (0-0) @ Chicago (0-0)
Buffalo (0-0) @ Kansas City (0-0)
Cincinnati (0-0) @ Cleveland (0-0)
Detroit (0-0) @ Tampa Bay (0-0)
Tennessee (0-0) @ Jacksonville (0-0)
Indianapolis (0-0) @ Houston (0-0)
Philadelphia (0-0) @ St. Louis (0-0)
Pittsburgh (0-0) @ Baltimore (0-0)

Sunday @ 4:00pm ET -
Minnesota (0-0) @ San Diego (0-0)
NY Giants (0-0) @ Washington (0-0)
Carolina (0-0) @ Arizona (0-0)
Seattle (0-0) @ San Francisco (0-0)

Sunday Night -
Dallas (0-0) @ NY Jets (0-0)

Monday Night -
New England (0-0) @ Miami (0-0)
Oakland (0-0) @ Denver (0-0)

I'm not sure why everyone is hyped on New Orleans... I guess I'll find out, but I think Green Bay is still better, and that starts now.  Kansas City has to beat Buffalo, with or without Matt Cassel, that's the kind of loss that puts a downer on your whole season.  Likewise, Houston has to beat Indianapolis - they're at home, and besides that, Peyton Manning either won't play or will be playing with no preseason and a bit rusty.  If Houston can't beat a wounded Colts team, they can give up hope now.  I thought Jacksonville was a lock on Tennessee, but with the release of David Garrard, who knows... they're such similar teams, with elite RBs and questionable QB situations and WRs.  Tough call, but I'll take the Tennessee WR corps and defense over Jacksonville's for now.  The Detroit and Tampa game is a great game to see which team's youth movement is ready to push the envelope going forward: both teams are looking great and should expect good things, it's a bigger early-season test for both than people realize.

If you're looking for survival league advice, I'd suggest Houston, Kansas City, San Diego or Arizona.  Personally, I'm going with Kansas City.

No comments:

Post a Comment