Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pierce's Picks - Week 15

Last week, I went 8-8, putting my season mark at 131-75.

I'll note at this point that last year I finished 161-95; we'll see how I match up against myself from last year as the season ends.

This week -

Thursday Night -
Jacksonville (4-9) @ Atlanta (8-5)

Saturday Night -
Dallas (7-6) @ Tampa Bay (4-9)

Sunday at 1:00pm ET -
Miami (4-9) @ Buffalo (5-8)
Seattle (6-7) @ Chicago (7-6)
Cincinnati (7-6) @ St. Louis (2-11)
Green Bay (13-0) @ Kansas City (5-8)
Tennessee (7-6) @ Indianapolis (0-13)
New Orleans (10-3) @ Minnesota (2-11)
Washington (4-9) @ NY Giants (7-6)
Carolina (4-9) @ Houston (10-3)

Sunday at 4:00pm ET -
Detroit (8-5) @ Oakland (7-6)
Cleveland (4-9) @ Arizona (6-7)
New England (10-3) @ Denver (8-5)
NY Jets (8-5) @ Philadelphia (5-8)

Sunday Night -
Baltimore (10-3) @ San Diego (6-7)

Monday Night -
Pittsburgh (10-3) @ San Francisco (10-3)

After fourteen weeks of play, I'm still backing Green Bay over Houston in Super Bowl XLVI.

For Thursday Night, well, I don't think MJD can carry his team past an Atlanta squad desperate to hold onto their playoff seed.  The NFC Wild Card race is going to be tight and if they drop a winnable game to the Jaguars, they could fall fast.  I think Atlanta has the weapons to win this, especially at home.

For Saturday Night, it's rather tempting to pick against Dallas, which can't close anyone out this year.  And honestly, if it were anyone other than Tampa Bay, I might.  But the Bucs look completely inept this season and I think even the Cowboys can finish a win against them and keep pace in the NFC East race.

For the Sunday early games -
I don't like Buffalo or Miami, but I won't pick the team that just lost its coach.  I think the Bills squeak this one out.
Chicago looks lost.  I want to say they'll be angry after the loss to Denver, but I just don't know what they're going to do.  They don't score with Caleb Hanie.  The Seahawks can put the ball in Marshawn Lynch's hands, control the clock, put up some points, and take this game, effectively ending Chicago's playoff hopes.
St. Louis is maybe the worst team in the league, at least offensively.  Cincinnati will roll over them.
Green Bay, likewise, should obliterate the Chiefs, who just saw Todd Haley fired.
Tennessee might have a tougher round of it, but they should also roll over the completely hapless Colts team.
New Orleans, also, should destroy a wounded Vikings team coming off of a tough loss to Detroit.
The Giants are as unpredictable as anyone this year, but I have trouble imagining they'd drop a game to Washington as Dallas breathes down their neck for the NFC East title.
I think Carolina/Houston has all the makings for a trap game for Houston.  Carolina can play.  But Houston's being efficient and finding ways to do what they need to do to win.  I think they escape the trap.

Sunday's later games -
I really don't like Oakland or Detroit a lot right now - both teams have good things about them, both teams have bad things... like, you know, committing lots of penalties.  No matter who wins this game, assume there'll be lots of yellow in the air.  I think Detroit is the better team here, the more consistent team, and the less turnover-prone team.  There's no reason to think that the Lions defense won't pressure Palmer into some bad decisions and take advantage.  Jason Campbell is laughing somewhere.
Cleveland and Arizona, what a stinker.  The Cardinals find ways to win games, and I think they'll do that here.
New England had best put this Tebow nonsense to rest.  If the Broncos somehow win this game, it's going to become absolutely insufferable.  But I don't think the Broncos can keep up on the scoreboard, so unless the Broncos D plays absolutely out of its mind, I see the Patriots winning this by two possessions or so.
The way Shonn Greene is running lately, is there any reason to assume he won't gut the weak Philly defense?  I can't see the Eagles winning this game, especially with the Jets trying to fight their way into the playoffs.

Sunday Night -
Baltimore has had their moments of inconsistency this year, but not like San Diego.  The Chargers find ways to lose too often, but I don't think they'll need a lot of help with that here.

Monday Night -
Easily the best game of the week.  What a rough-and-tumble game this ought to be, between two teams preparing for the playoffs.  But I like San Francisco over a dinged up Steelers team that I don't have complete faith in.  If Big Ben were completely healthy, it might be different, but I think the 49ers make a statement here.

No comments:

Post a Comment